Today, most companies create flexibility policies in a vacuum with insufficient data to back up their decisions. The result? Something we here at Werk call the “flexibility gap”: 80 percent of companies say they offer flexibility, but only 19% of employees report having access to it. This gap is even more pronounced across demographic fault-lines including gender, generation, level, and caregiving status.
The failure of companies to implement the right flexibility policies and close their gaps has real consequences:
- Inability to retain talent, especially among women and minority groups
- Inability to attract key talent demographics like millennials, who are actively rejecting traditional workplaces
- Soaring real estate costs due to lack of location variety
- Climbing healthcare costs as employees are unable to engage in regular preventative care
- Waning productivity while burnout hits new heights
- Failing diversity and inclusion initiatives as a "one size-fits-all" mindset fosters a culture of exclusion rather than one of belonging
That’s why we created FlexMatch™, an intelligent assessment tool that helps companies use data to optimize the employee experience and business results through flexibility.
Companies that adopt FlexMatch not only learn their flexibility gap for the first time, but they also receive actionable insights tailored to their unique business objectives. By measuring need vs. access for all six flextypes across demographics, FlexMatch spots concerning trends—and provide recommendations to address high-risk areas such as retention and productivity. Meanwhile, employees who take FlexMatch receive individual reports highlighting their top flex types, along with personalized recommendations for speaking to their managers about utilizing flexibility to optimize effectiveness.
We’ve worked with a number of organizations and have yet to see flex gap lower than 60 percent. Think you might have a flexibility gap? Start assessing your company by booking a demo below: